If you are new to SEO, are a blogger looking to improve your search engine rankings or have some sort of delusional idea that you could rank for keywords like “money” or “make money” easily, then this hub is for you.
If you are a writer that is looking to profit from writing for hubpages or any of the other social sharing networks that share a cut of the contextual ad take, then you may also find this interesting and helpful in terms of being able to rank easily for terms.
What is a long tail keyword?
First of all, a long tail keyword is really nothing more than a series of words strung together. These types of keywords typically convert better because through the eyes of the searcher, the longer the search query, the better chance they have of finding an actual solution.
And to the marketer this is a very important point to understand….
The longer the tail…the more targeted the conversation becomes….
Here is an example:
- Let’s say I want to make money online. I fire up Google search and type it in.
- This will give me a very general list of things….I don’t find anything…I hone and refine my search….
- “Ways to make money online.” I type in this search query and find better information. On several of the sites, they are offering high dollar home study products. But I don’t have any money….Time to rehone….
- “Cheap ways to make money online”. On one of the listings, I find out about the Google AdSense program. This looks good to me and I start to get a better idea of what to search for….
- “Easy and free ways to make money online with adsense”. On one of the listings, I find that there are content sharing sites in which I don’t have to spend a dime of my money…one of them happens to be with hubpages…..
- “Make money online fast with AdSense using hubpages”….
Do you see how the tail gets longer and longer the further down the rabbit hole I get? Do you see how refined it becomes?
New webmasters hoping to make money online tend to go after the keywords that are very competitive….Big mistake….
One of the “secrets” to making money online marketing products is that traffic volume means very little in terms of making money. Social media marketers have found this out the hard way.
From a common sense perspective think of it this way…
If you are looking for a DUI lawyer in Memphis, would you be more likely to find the information by searching for DUI lawyer in Memphis or DUI lawyer? And if you wanted to become even more particular, if you were broke, wouldn’t you think that you would find the best result from a search query like this “DUI Lawyer in Memphis who does pro bono work”?
Of course, there is a trade off with trying to optimize your website for long tails versus root keywords. The trade off is traffic. While a root keyword could potentially earn you thousands of unique visitors a day, the long tail keyword will typically offer no more than a few hundred a month.
And the niche marketer has an answer for this as well. Rather than spending months trying to rank a page for a root keyword, they can spend a few weeks and create a ton of traffic by creating lots of pages that target long tail keywords.
This is the takeway for bloggers looking to build traffic to their blog. It isn’t about ranking for the root keyword immediately. Instead, you write content centered around the long tail keyword, getting a few hundred visitors a month from multiple highly targeted pages…and giving the visitor exactly what they are looking for as opposed to a very general idea on a root keyword that isn’t very targeted at all….